Thursday, November 16, 2006

Semi regular dose of art?



We haven't looked at any art in a while, and boy is this blog in need of some visual stimulation! This is a section of a multifigured painting from a Villa in (or is it near? I'm doing this one cold, people!) Pompeii.

Ahhh, Pompeii. I've never been, but it's on my list of places to go. I am surprisingly poorly traveled, for an art nerd, but when we have money, boy will I be that pretentious person who's been everywhere, dahling.

So, look at this wonderful work of art. It's aptly titled the Villa of the Mysteries. I love figure painting from every phase of art history, and nakey females always rank high on my list of subjects. Even better when there's an argument on just what the hell is going on here. Is it an initiation ritual? It's not clear. There are humans and gods and goddesses, oh man, this stuff is great!

And look at the figures, aren't they beautiful? These things were buried under ash and pumice for almost 2000 years, we're so lucky to have them! Thank goodness for Vesuvius, no?

No comments: