Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I hope this isn't considered cheating, or meme-ing

Tomorrow I am set to teach about Rome, for the love of gob, something I know something about! Woo to the hoo, baby!

I'm starting with the Republic and its demise, including some about Julius Caesar, and then on to one of my favorite historical figures- Augustus. It's funny that most people know Julius Caesar, who was killed before he did most of what he'd planned. Augustus had a much greater impact, especially visually, on Rome. And he lived to be in his 80's- plenty of time to do some damage!

It got me to thinking- which historical figures I'd like to meet. Because you can usually tell a lot about a person by who they pick, blah blah blah psychobabble-cakes.

But he's really my only one. There are artists that I greatly admire, but I don't want to meet Degas- he is thought to have been a horrible anti-Semite and misogynist. Maybe if I put in a proviso that I'll only meet him if I can dispel those myths.

Manet- oh to sit with him while he painted those late-in-life still lifes. But he was kind of a pain in the ass.

We all know how I react when I meet people I admire- hello, nearly threw up on the artist I wrote my thesis on. So I think I'll stick with just one. I like my illusions just fine, thanks.

Of course, I'd like to meet my Grandpop and Pop-pop as an adult. And my dad's mom, who died before he and my mom married. I imagine her speaking with an Irish accent, which my dad says was only the case when she was angry. But they're not famous.

Readers? Who would you all like to meet? I'd give you up to five. Go!

1 comment:

Frema said...

J.K. Rowling
Ann M. Martin

Are the only two I can think of off the top of my head. Both are authors of some of my favorite series ever. I could learn a lot from them.