Thursday, November 30, 2006

Hello? Is it my cheesy love song CD you're looking for?

So, ladies and gentlemen, this is my playlist for my entry into Frema's Hello? Is it my Cheesy Love Song CD You're Looking For? CD swap. I posted the list a while ago, but am editing it on Wednesday, December 6th, with the rationalizations, erm, I mean, REASONS for their inclusion.
I Wanna Be Your Lover- Prince
Don't ya just love Prince? This song is excellent, with a corny disco-infused, skippy beat. Featured on Art Nerd and Kev Dawg's Wedding CD, disc 1. (What, only two volumes? I know, I disappoint myself!)

For Once In My Life- Stevie Wonder
Stevie, Stevie, Stevie. This song is lovely, but the wall of sound-style production really is what lends this song the cheese. Holy backup singers, batman!

I'll Be There For You- Bon Jovi
I live on the border of New Jersey, remember (well, they live on the border of us, really). The high note near the end, the lyrics- I hear your suitcase say goodbye? Livin on a Prayer was too obvious, but this song, I really thought Jon Bon was singing to me.

Brilliant Disguise- Bruce Springsteen

Again, it's the Jersey thing. A Jersey two-fer. No, really, I like Springsteen a lot, and for something that came out in the late eighties (I think? Tunnel of Love album, anyone?) it isn't too bad. Dragging out the word disguise to about eight syllables is quite a feat. Plus, claves!

Just What I Needed- The Cars
I am probably the only person in the world who identifies herself as a Cars fan. Damn circuit city for putting this song in an ad.

Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic- The Police

The Police are one of my bestest favorite bands. Love love love. This song is sweet and cute, but reeks of selling out. Plus, my dad used to always sing the part about "It's a big enough umbrella, but it's always me that ends up... getting weeeetttt!" I think "magic" here is code for "bitchy".

Big Me- Foo Fighters
A Mentos commercial for a video. Enough said.

Sweet Child O' Mine- Guns N' Roses
I really thought Axl was singing this song to me. Regardless of the fact that I have eyes of the hazel-est erm, hazel, not of the bluest skies.

I Want You Back- The Jackson 5

Michael, before he got weird. Plus, how cute is this beat- just try not to dance, just try!!

Do You Believe In Magic- The Lovin' Spoonful
And it's magic, if the music is groovy,It makes you feel happy like an old-time movie

All Night Long [All Night]- Lionel Richie
I don't know what's worse- the jeri curl or the fake african babbling. I think it's fake, anyway. Dude, the contest is named after him, how could I not?

The Way You Make Me Feel- Michael Jackson

Okay, Michael was a little weird here, but still looked human. Plus do we really think Michael Jackson was turned on by a girl? Don't buy it!

Every Rose Has Its Thorn- Poison
I thought this song was soooo deep when I was younger. And I was really enthralled with Bret Michaels, because I knew he is diabetic. This obsession began with Stacey from the Babysitter's Club. Blame Ann M Martin

I Want to Know What Love Is- Foreigner
Like you don't love this. Totally belt-out-able in the car.

Here I Go Again On My Own- Whitesnake
'Cos I know what it means, to walk along a lonely street of dreams? Cheese to the max, ladies and gentlemen.

I Got You Babe- Sonny & Cher
Art Nerd and Kev Dog's wedding song. For reals. Who cares if they later divorced, and separately became a drag-queen icon and a Senator who died tragically and in unfortunately slightly comical circumstances. And that I imagine Dorothy and Sophia singing this song dressed up for a mother-daughter pagaent on Golden Girls. Love!

Holiday- Weezer
Weezer was the soundtrack to my college years. And this song is SO RHYMY.

Two Steps Behind (Acoustic Version)- Def Leppard
Def Leppard is the most produced band, like, ever. And I love them for it. Plus, this song plays over the ending credits of my favorite music-related made-for-tv movie- Def Leppard Story: Hysteria. Yes it is available on DVD, and there are only 19 shopping days left, y'all!

And there it is. Hopefully everyone will get their CDs soon. I am That Participant, the one who's sent everything out late, because I suck and my brain has turned to mush.

3 comments:

Frema said...

What a fun list!

Anonymous said...

Yes. Damn Circuit City. This song has verses??

I love this CD. I have discovered, however, that it is inappropriate for work because I keep singing along - so in the car it goes! Thanks also for explaining the cheesesteak photo. I thought it was a sandwich from Arby's.

Anonymous said...

I laughed this morning (in the car) when I heard Jon Bon sing, "I'll be there for you...BTW sorry I missed your birthday." Or something to that effect.