Monday, June 12, 2006

but in its defense

Myspace is totally lame. I am still a member and all, blah blah blah. But? I doubt the website itself is to blame for a teenage girl getting on a plane to frickin Jordan, of all places. And naming her the Myspace Teen, a la Motorist Rodney King or Track Star Shellie Turner (what the press called a local murder victim), is kind of, sort of, blaming the site, isn't it?

I especially like this little gem: "Shawn Lester told The Saginaw News that her daughter has "never given me a day's trouble. ... I just don't understand with all these new laws protecting America how a 16-year-old kid could get out of the country." " (op. cit.) (I think- it's been a while, okay!) What? Lady, you got scammed. And don't blame the government, how'd she get out of your house?

Oh my God. She'll be in college in a few years. Teacher Lady, we should be on our toes.

2 comments:

Teacher lady said...

Oh, good gob, I hadn't heard about this. Here's what I want to know: Where'd she get the cash for a plane ticket like that? Something tells me there aren't any "Southwest $99!" fares. Her PARENTS had a credit card, which probably had to be used to purchase the plane ticket - even if it was online. Although maybe her parents hadn't gotten the bill that month and this girl was able to remove it from Mom's purse, buy the ticket and then quickly put it back before anybody noticed? Un-f**ing-believable!

Liberal Banana said...

Wow. Yeah, you can't blame MySpace. They say you need to use their site responsibly. And people need to parent their children! How did they let this happen? And their kid is obviously NUTS for going!!!