Sunday, October 01, 2006

What to do?

Good news about the OBSERVATION, everyone- I am not fired! And? I was offered another section to teach in the Spring!! Continuing what I'm teaching this semester, from I guess medieval to maybe Renaissance or Baroque architecture? I don't know. I'll get the syllabus soon. So that's 3 classes, I am officially booked for the Spring! And I will be being PAID, dollah dollah bills, y'all! I'm so excited

This week, I've been busy returning students' email. They had to send me their preliminary thesis statements for their semester-long project. I received most of them. However, there are 3 that haven't sent them in. I'm debating whether or not to email the students and ask them where their thesis statements are. But I don't want to be the kind of teacher who treats them like babies. It's not the biggest deal, I'll be taking points off the "professionalism" component of the rubric, and it doesn't weight too heavily on the grade.

So, readers (if I have any left, because, like I said, Blogging his hard, y'all!) what do you think? Of course I'll ask my supervisor, but just wanted some interwebnet opinions as well. I'm torn, because they don't need me to hover, but I don't want these students to do badly in my class. They need to pass this in order to continue, or they become a year off in the already 5 year program. I'm listening!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gotta tell ya, I don't think I like this "Blogger Beta" thing. This comment is just a test because my previous (brilliant, I might add) comment was lost.

Piano Guy said...

Hiya, I just stumbled upon your blog recently. Fellow art nerd here, though I'm probably pursuing the path of the artist more (might go for an MFA, instead of MA/PhD in art history) but I'm still very much in love with art history.

I don't think there's anything wrong with checking up on the students, in my experience it shows the instructor actually cares about student performance and that usually comes off as a good thing. I understand your concerns, however. Good luck with that!

Zoemonster said...

YAY for you!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with overthinking. If it is something you are willing to do, I do not think it is bothersome to students, but helpful. I also do not think it is something you should feel obligated to do since it is their job to keep on top of their work. I know if I recieved an amail like that from a professor I would be like Oh shit and do it right away.