Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Revisiting the Artist in Me

This summer has been all about the art. As any reader to this blog certainly knows by now, I haven't done much writing. But, in an unexpected turn of events, I've been making art again. Whoa! I have a BFA in painting, but I haven't really used it in, let's see, four years. Dude, that's sad. So this summer, I decided to treat myself. Because last semester was the semester from hell, worse for me than the semester when I was helping my mom and cousin to take care of my mommom who was in hospice care (some funny/sad stories there, maybe I'll revisit them sometime here), I decided to take a while off.

I took a class at Fleisher Art Memorial. You may have read about my cats' sabotage of my one drawings before. I was the youngest person in the class by at least 30 years, which was fine. It's been a while since I felt young in the classroom. I made three drawings, two of which I really liked. I had a lot of fun drawing. And, I'm happy to admit, I didn't completely suck! I sometimes feel like a fraud because I have this BFA, and I don't do anything with it. I mean, why bother to get it, right? Overall, it helped me realize that I love art history and want to do this for the rest of my life. But to not make art at all seems lazy to me.

So like I said, I made a few pastel drawing this summer. I also helped Kevin to make tshirts today. We broke out this silkscreen kit that he had bought me a few Christmases ago. I should post a picture of our wares. They're pretty cool. They're for a gig that he has this weekend with Problem Solving. It's a woodstock-like event, so I'm not going. Not really a nature girl, this one. So I'll have plenty of time to write.

Even though my t-word isn't complete yet, I still feel I've had a productive summer. And there's still a few weeks left to eek out that paper.

No comments: