Friday, July 29, 2005

Yeah, so about that journey...

I'm having troubles getting started with the thesis. I can't decide if I want to introduce the artist first, or give an idea of how I came up with the project. Really what I should do is just jump in, for god's sake. Why am I such a procrastinator? Why am I so lazy? Why can't I sit down and bust this thing out?

On a positive note, I've emailed my advisor, and I've locked myself in to handing him a completed draft the first week of school. God, I can't wait to go back to school! This semester I'm taking a class on Caravaggio. That will be fun, because it's sort of a historiography class, meaning that we'll study the way Caravaggio was studied from his own time to the present. All kinds of cool things, including queer theories and good sexy stuff like that. I'm also trying to get a class on drawings. It's through UPenn, and it's given at the PMA. So I'll be able to physically handle and look at real drawings in the PMA's collections. How's that for art-nerdiness? And for my final class, I'll be taking a Directed Research, probably with my advisor. I'd like to focus on the eighties and see what comes up.

But I simply cannot show my face at school if I don't get the damn thesis done. It's all up here, why do I have to write it? What I should do is post a synopsis of my arguments. I did write an outline, so maybe tomorrow, for your reading pleasure, I'll give you an abstract. I know you're waiting with bated breath.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - I love Caravaggio. Studied some art history in undergrad, and I swear, if it weren't for the whole paying-back-the-massive-loans thing, I might consider switching from law to art history. Or writing. Or anything but law at this point. Could be the crazed exam-on-Monday phase I'm going through at this point, I dunno. Anyway, enough rambling for me. I hope you get going on your thesis, I feel your pain!

Art Nerd Lauren said...

Thanks Peyton. I read your blog a lot, and I think to myself, I think I have a lot to do! I guess I'm just the kind of person who needs deadlines. And for these deadlines to be staring her in the face.