Saturday, July 30, 2005

Cleaning and listening to power ballads

Oh my God. I think I may have lost my mind. It's Saturday night. I'm cleaning. I'm cleaning and I'm listening to power ballads. More specifically, Def Leppard power ballads. Bringing on the heartbreak is on now. But my very favorite is Love Bites. There's something about overproduction that I love! I mean, I love layered things, contradictions, complicated things. This is what I deal with in art all the time. It makes sense that I crave it in music too. I know I have shitty taste in music sometimes.

Sometimes I feel like, you know, I'm a grad student, maybe I should be listening to opera or something. But you know what? I do listen to music from the era I study. I could be pretentious and say it's all research. But I'd be lying. I really just like shitty music. I love Def Leppard, I love bruce Springsteen, I love love love Bon Jovi. It's ridiculous. And pretty much all the older people at school have no idea what I'm talking about. They listen to NPR and all the granola crunchy stuff. And there's nothing wrong with that. But I like my WMMR, WYSP kinda tunes.

I like a lot of good stuff too. I love the STones (especially the older stuff) I love the beatles, I love Pink Floyd. Though most of these bands went through their over-produced phases. The long and winding road. The whole Tatoo you album. The division bell.

But let's be serious. Hysteria is a GREAT album. It's a producer's wet dream, as kevin would say. It is layer upon unneccessary layer of sound. I mean, come on. The other guys had to do something while the drummer learned to drum again, right (this is Kev's observation, too). It took 4 years to produce. It's like candy for your ears. It's coated, coated with sounds! It's fantastic, and I challenge anyone who says it isn't to...well... I don't know, cause I'm not in the business of challenging people, really.

No comments: