Saturday, December 23, 2006

Christmas meme is here!

1. Eggnog or hot chocolate? Hot Chocolate for sure. Egg? Nog? ew, just ew

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just put them under the tree? Wrap, put them in a decorative bag or box. Merchandise under a tree is just weird to me

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? White.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? fake mistletoe, but yes, it's here. With a bell that hangs down, which bonks Kev in the head every morning.

5. When do you put your decorations up? Usually, I start early, like the first weekend of December, but then get wrapped up in the end-of-the-semester rush, and finish up on Christmas eve eve.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? My mom makes spaghetti and ravioli. I prefer that so much over turkey, and now that I go with the ILs for Christmas, I like the leftovers!

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? My sister and I used to seriously practice peeking down the stairs at our Christmas presents. In our pjs. Every night of December. And the worst part was, when I was really little I couldn't even see down the stairs, until I got glasses.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I think I started suspecting something in second grade, but by third I was secure enough in the knowledge to actually tell my mom. Actually, that is another great memory of Christmas, shopping for my sister, from Santa, with my mom. And we got four Christmases out of it, because we had to sit my sister down when she was in fifth grade and tell her. I'm sure she didn't still believe, but I think she just didn't want to get hosed on Christmas if she let on.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Kev and I used to open each other's gifts on Christmas Eve, but now that we live together we've inherited stocking duty from our parents. So now we wait till after we see my nephew open his gifts. Oh, and the gifts from my aunt, we always do those on Christmas eve.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Is it just me, or is this worded funny? With a RAY GUN. No, seriously, this year, with feather garland and sprays of pearls. Oh so pretty!

11. Snow! Love it or dread it? Only love it when I get the day off school, and have no reason to leave the house. And Kev's able to be home with me too. Then, it's lovely.

12. Can you ice skate? I broke my foot by tripping over my own feet- I will never attempt this, much to my former hockey-playing husband's dismay.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Kev and I were engaged on December 23, 2001, so that was a very nice present. Platinum, round diamonds, princess cut sapphires, and my mom-mom's center stone. Very nice! And he bought me a keyboard one year, because I off-handedly mentioned once that my mom threw out mine and I was pissed.

14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? I really love to give gifts. And getting together with the family, and spending lots of time with my mom. I love being an aunt at this time of the year, too.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin pie and Aunt Sue's cherry pie. mmmmm

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Christmas morning, opening presents at mom and dad's house with my nephew, and then breakfast followed by a nap. Heaven!

17. What tops your tree? Um? It's hard to describe, and in words sounds hideous, but really, it's cool. It's abstract, kind of like an old-fashioned ornament, that adds about 6 inches to the height of the tree. And I just got it this year, and the damn thing didn't fit on the tree. But I made it fit, oh yes I did, because we'll have our house by this time next year and can get a taller tree.

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? he. hehehe. he. he. Giving. I just don't feel like I give good enough reactions a lot of the time. And I don't really like people watching me all expectantly. My bridal shower was hell for that reason (and others!)

19. What is your favorite Christmas song? Religious: O Holy Night. Secular: Santa Claus is coming to Town, by Bruce Springsteen :) And the whole Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack.

20. Candy canes? Thank you, no.

21. Favorite Christmas movie? Charlie Brown, The (animated) Grinch and Rudolf

No comments: